Re: new heapcheck contrib module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amul Sul
Subject Re: new heapcheck contrib module
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 8:00 AM Mark Dilger
<mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 16, 2020, at 9:37 PM, Amul Sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In addition to this, I found a few more things while reading v13 patch are as
> > below:
> >
> > Patch v13-0001:
> >
> > -
> > +#include "amcheck.h"
> >
> > Not in correct order.
>
> Fixed.
>
> > +typedef struct BtreeCheckContext
> > +{
> > + TupleDesc tupdesc;
> > + Tuplestorestate *tupstore;
> > + bool is_corrupt;
> > + bool on_error_stop;
> > +} BtreeCheckContext;
> >
> > Unnecessary spaces/tabs between } and BtreeCheckContext.
>
> This refers to a change in verify_nbtree.c that has been removed.  Per discussions with Peter and Robert, I have
simplywithdrawn that portion of the patch.

> > static void bt_index_check_internal(Oid indrelid, bool parentcheck,
> > - bool heapallindexed, bool rootdescend);
> > + bool heapallindexed, bool rootdescend,
> > + BtreeCheckContext * ctx);
> >
> > Unnecessary space between * and ctx. The same changes needed for other places as
> > well.
>
> Same as above.  The changes to verify_nbtree.c have been withdrawn.
>
> > ---
> >
> > Patch v13-0002:
> >
> > +-- partitioned tables (the parent ones) don't have visibility maps
> > +create table test_partitioned (a int, b text default repeat('x', 5000))
> > + partition by list (a);
> > +-- these should all fail
> > +select * from verify_heapam('test_partitioned',
> > + on_error_stop := false,
> > + skip := NULL,
> > + startblock := NULL,
> > + endblock := NULL);
> > +ERROR:  "test_partitioned" is not a table, materialized view, or TOAST table
> > +create table test_partition partition of test_partitioned for values in (1);
> > +create index test_index on test_partition (a);
> >
> > Can't we make it work? If the input is partitioned, I think we could
> > collect all its leaf partitions and process them one by one. Thoughts?
>
> I was following the example from pg_visibility.  I haven't thought about your proposal enough to have much opinion as
yet,except that if we do this for pg_amcheck we should do likewise to pg_visibility, for consistency of the user
interface.

pg_visibility does exist from before the declarative partitioning came
in, I think it's time to improve that as well.

> > + ctx->chunkno++;
> >
> > Instead of incrementing  in check_toast_tuple(), I think incrementing should
> > happen at the caller  -- just after check_toast_tuple() call.
>
> I agree.
>
> > ---
> >
> > Patch v13-0003:
> >
> > + resetPQExpBuffer(query);
> > + destroyPQExpBuffer(query);
> >
> > resetPQExpBuffer() will be unnecessary if the next call is destroyPQExpBuffer().
>
> Thanks.  I removed it in cases where destroyPQExpBuffer is obviously the very next call.
>
> > + appendPQExpBuffer(query,
> > +   "SELECT c.relname, v.blkno, v.offnum, v.lp_off, "
> > +   "v.lp_flags, v.lp_len, v.attnum, v.chunk, v.msg"
> > +   "\nFROM verify_heapam(rel := %u, on_error_stop := %s, "
> > +   "skip := %s, startblock := %s, endblock := %s) v, "
> > +   "pg_class c"
> > +   "\nWHERE c.oid = %u",
> > +   tbloid, stop, skip, settings.startblock,
> > +   settings.endblock, tbloid
> >
> > pg_class should be schema-qualified like elsewhere.
>
> Agreed, and changed.
>
> > IIUC, pg_class is meant to
> > get relname only, instead, we could use '%u'::pg_catalog.regclass in the target
> > list for the relname. Thoughts?
>
> get_table_check_list() creates the list of all tables to be checked, which check_tables() then iterates over, calling
check_table()for each one.  I think some verification that the table still exists is in order.  Using
'%u'::pg_catalog.regclassfor a table that has since been dropped would pass in the old table Oid and draw an error of
the'ERROR:  could not open relation with OID 36311' variety, whereas the current coding will just skip the dropped
table.

> > Also I think we should skip '\n' from the query string (see appendPQExpBuffer()
> > in pg_dump.c)
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  pg_dump.c uses "\n" in query strings it passes to appendPQExpBuffer(), in a manner very
similarto what this patch does.

I see there is a mix of styles, I was referring to dumpDatabase() from pg_dump.c
which doesn't include '\n'.

> > + appendPQExpBuffer(query,
> > +   "SELECT i.indexrelid"
> > +   "\nFROM pg_catalog.pg_index i, pg_catalog.pg_class c"
> > +   "\nWHERE i.indexrelid = c.oid"
> > +   "\n    AND c.relam = %u"
> > +   "\n    AND i.indrelid = %u",
> > +   BTREE_AM_OID, tbloid);
> > +
> > + ExecuteSqlStatement("RESET search_path");
> > + res = ExecuteSqlQuery(query->data, PGRES_TUPLES_OK);
> > + PQclear(ExecuteSqlQueryForSingleRow(ALWAYS_SECURE_SEARCH_PATH_SQL));
> >
> > I don't think we need the search_path query. The main query doesn't have any
> > dependencies on it.  Same is in check_indexes(), check_index (),
> > expand_table_name_patterns() & get_table_check_list().
> > Correct me if I am missing something.
>
> Right.
>
> > + output = PageOutput(lines + 2, NULL);
> > + for (lineno = 0; usage_text[lineno]; lineno++)
> > + fprintf(output, "%s\n", usage_text[lineno]);
> > + fprintf(output, "Report bugs to <%s>.\n", PACKAGE_BUGREPORT);
> > + fprintf(output, "%s home page: <%s>\n", PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_URL);
> >
> > I am not sure why we want PageOutput() if the second argument is always going to
> > be NULL? Can't we directly use printf() instead of PageOutput() + fprintf() ?
> > e.g. usage() function in pg_basebackup.c.
>
> Done.
>

> Please find attached the next version of the patch.  In addition to your review comments (above), I have made changes
inresponse to Peter and Robert's review comments upthread.

Thanks for the updated version, I'll have a look.

Regards,
Amul