Re: [pg_hba.conf] publish own Python application using PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John McKown
Subject Re: [pg_hba.conf] publish own Python application using PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 06:57:45AM -0500, John McKown wrote:

> >> The admin don't need to create the db. It is done by the application
> >> (sqlalchemy-utils on Python3) itself.
> >>

> > an application should not have the privileges to do that.   you don't run
> > your apps as 'root', do you?   why would you run them as a database
> > administrator ?
>

> ​Trigger Warning (Thanks, Mallard Fillmore)
>
> I agree with you on this. If I were a customer and some vendor said: "Oh
> yes, to run our product, you must configure your multi-user data base to
> disable passwords and run it as a DBA so that it can make schema changes on
> the fly", then I'd simply say "no sale". Of course, in regards to the
> schema, it would be proper to document what the DBA needs to do to set up
> the data base with the proper tables and other items.

In fact, an app might have an option to emit a script for
the DBA to run. Or even offer to run it for the DBA given
proper credentials are provided on the spot.

​Yes, that's even better. Documentation to say what to do and why, and a way to generate a script which the DBA can review, approve, & run is an excellent way to do this.​

Karsten Hilbert

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown