Re: BUG #13832: Syntax errors are extremely unfriendly - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John McKown
Subject Re: BUG #13832: Syntax errors are extremely unfriendly
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Tim Hutt <tdhutt@gmail.com> writes:
> > On 24 Dec 2015 16:11, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> As far as raw syntax errors go, we're pretty much limited by what Biso=
> >> will do; we're unlikely to implement our own parser from scratch just
> >> to improve this.  We do go to considerable lengths for semantic
> errors...
>
> > Ah OK I guess this is an issue with Bison - theoretically it should be
> able
> > to say what it expects when it gets an invalid token right?
>
> You would think.  I've experimented with Bison's %error-verbose directive=
,
> but if anything its results are worse than doing nothing: it seems to
> mention only a rather randomly-chosen subset of the possible
> continuations.  (That seems to be related to their decision to put a
> fairly small hard limit on the length of their error messages, but even
> allowing for that, what you get seems pretty random.)  It's also
> depressingly concrete; instead of something useful like "expected a table
> name here", you get "expected IDENT or ABORT or ABSOLUTE or (all possible
> unreserved keywords...) here", or at least that's what you would get if
> not for the aforesaid problem.
>
> There's been some recent chat in the PG mailing lists about whether we
> could extract tab-completion logic from the grammar specification, which
> is sort of related to this issue.  We've not gotten far with that idea
> unfortunately.
>
>                         regards, tom lane

=E2=80=8BI don't know what you've looked at for the auto-complete, but I ra=
n across
this example which uses GNU readline:
http://cc.byexamples.com/2008/06/16/gnu-readline-implement-custom-auto-comp=
lete/
=E2=80=8B

--=20
Computer Science is the only discipline in which we view adding a new wing
to a building as being maintenance -- Jim Horning

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

10 to the 12th power microphones =3D 1 Megaphone

Maranatha! <><
John McKown