Re: About the MONEY type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John McKown
Subject Re: About the MONEY type
Date
Re: About the MONEY type  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 1:23 PM, btober@computer.org <btober@broadstripe.net> wrote:

I recall a number of years ago reading about a money implementation that included different currency bases and exchange rate calculation. A quick Google search turned up

https://github.com/samv/pg-currency

which I am not sure is the same thing, but it looks like it might be something useful in the current context.

-- B

Speaking generically, ​I guess maybe MONEY needs to be somewhat like a TIMESTAMP. At least in PostgreSQL​, a TIMESTAMP can contain a TIMEZONE. I guess a MONEY type should contain a modifier identifying the issuer of the currency (E.g. U.S. Dollar vs Canadian Dollar vs. Yen vs. Yuan vs. "precious metal").

--
Heisenberg may have been here.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown