copying few fields into an existing table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Farber
Subject copying few fields into an existing table
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

sadly I have to ban few users from my game web
site daily and so I'm trying to write a procedure for
first copying their id, name, city, IP into a pref_ban table
and then erasing their comments and statistics:

        create or replace function pref_delete_user(_id varchar,
            _reason varchar) returns void as $BODY$
                begin

                select into pref_ban id, first_name, last_name, city,
last_ip from pref_users where id=_id;

                delete from pref_rep where author=_id;
                delete from pref_rep where id=_id;
                delete from pref_catch where id=_id;
                delete from pref_game where id=_id;
                delete from pref_hand where id=_id;
                delete from pref_luck where id=_id;
                delete from pref_match where id=_id;
                delete from pref_misere where id=_id;
                delete from pref_money where id=_id;
                delete from pref_pass where id=_id;
                delete from pref_status where id=_id;
                delete from pref_users where id=_id;

                end;
        $BODY$ language plpgsql;

Unfortunately, I can't figure out the correct syntax
for the first operation (copying into existing table)

ERROR:  syntax error at "pref_ban"
DETAIL:  Expected record variable, row variable, or list of scalar
variables following INTO.
CONTEXT:  compilation of PL/pgSQL function "pref_delete_user" near line 3

Using PostgreSQL 8.4.7 @ CentOS 6 / 64 bit.

Any help please?
Alex