LAPP server moving from 4 GB RAM to 16 GB - increase shared_buffers? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Farber
Subject LAPP server moving from 4 GB RAM to 16 GB - increase shared_buffers?
Date
Re: LAPP server moving from 4 GB RAM to 16 GB - increase shared_buffers?  (Adam Cornett <adam.cornett@gmail.com>)
Re: LAPP server moving from 4 GB RAM to 16 GB - increase shared_buffers?  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I run a LAPP server (PostgreSQL 8.4 @ CentOS 5.7 / 64 bit;
only 4 GB RAM) with the following config:

postgresql.conf (unix socket only and - ):

    max_connections = 50
    shared_buffers = 1024MB                 # min 128kB

pgbouncer.ini:

   [databases]
   pref = host=/tmp user=XXX password=XXX dbname=XXX

   [pgbouncer]
   logfile = /var/log/pgbouncer.log
   pidfile = /var/run/pgbouncer/pgbouncer.pid
   listen_port = 6432
   unix_socket_dir = /tmp

   auth_type = md5
   auth_file = /var/lib/pgsql/data/global/pg_auth

   pool_mode = session
   server_reset_query = DISCARD ALL;

   server_check_delay = 10
   max_client_conn = 200
   default_pool_size = 16

and httpd.conf (running Drupal 7 + custom PHP scripts,
non-persistent, with mostly "select" queries):

    <IfModule prefork.c>
   StartServers       8
   MinSpareServers    5
   MaxSpareServers   20
   ServerLimit      120
   MaxClients       120
   MaxRequestsPerChild  4000
  </IfModule>

It works ok, but now users have collected some money and
I've purchased a better server with 16 GB and CentOS 6 /64 bit.

I understand, that my question is naive, but on the other side
even if I provide more information, will that really help? -

My question is: should I increase shared_buffers
from 1024MB to 8192MB, does it make any sense?

Thank you
Alex