Re: [BUGS] BUG #14285: Chinese locale and windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rader, David
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14285: Chinese locale and windows
Date
List pgsql-general

--
David Rader

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 10:23 AM, <nicolas.david@verosoftware.com> wrote:

Logged by:          Nicolas David
Email address:      nicolas.david@verosoftware.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.5
Operating system:   Windows 10

Dear All,

we have a chinese customer that have migrated from Win7 to Win10. It seems
that the locale 'Chinese (Simplified)_People’s Republic of China.936' has
been renamed to 'Chinese (Simplified)_China.936'.

For this reason, the postgresql service could not start (invalid value for
parameters lc_monetary / lc_numeric / lc_time in postgresql.conf).

I changed the value in the postgresql.conf file to use the new locale.

After that the service starts but I cannot get connected to my database. I
get an error message that tell me that LC_COLLATE is 'Chinese
(Simplified)_People’s Republic of China.936'. A HINT explains that I should
re-install the database or add the locale.

How can I manage this situation ?

Because if I re-install, the customer data will be lost and I don't know how
to add this locale.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

The locale has to be set when the database is created. Normally you can use pg_dump to export all the data, create a new database with the correct locale settings, and then pg_restore in to the new database.

Did the customer upgrade their Win7 machine to Win10 or move to a new machine with Win10 - and do you or they still have access to the older Win7 environment?