Re: set autovacuum=off - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alessandro Gagliardi
Subject Re: set autovacuum=off
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Peter van Hardenberg <pvh@heroku.com> wrote:
My hunch is still that your issue is lock contention.

How would I check that? I tried looking at pg_locks but I don't know what to look for.

We have many customers who do much more than this throughput, though
I'm not sure what level of resourcing you're current at. You might
consider experimenting with a larger system if you're having
performance problems.

Heh. I thought you might say that. :) It's definitely worth considering, but as youmight expect, I want to exhaust other options first. For customers who do much more (or even comparable) throughput, can you tell me how big of a system they require?

Also, as per Andy's suggestion, I'd like to try doubling checkpoint_segments. However, it appears that that is one of those variables that I cannot change from pgAdmin. I don't suppose there's any way to change this without rebooting the database?