Using RETURNING with INSERT TRIGGER on 9.6 partitioned table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Satoshi Nagayasu
Subject Using RETURNING with INSERT TRIGGER on 9.6 partitioned table
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm using partitioned tables with INSERT triggers on PostgreSQL 9.6,
and I have a question about using "RETURNING NEW" in those triggers.

I have found a note mentioning consideration and workaround
on using INSERT ... RETURNING on the partitioned table [1].

[1] INSERT RETURNING vs Partitioning - PostgreSQL wiki
    https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/INSERT_RETURNING_vs_Partitioning

However, according to my experience, using "RETURNING NEW"
in my insert trigger function looks working fine without the workadound.

So, here is a question.
Do we still need the workaround mentioned in the note?
If so, why?

Regards,
--
Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga@uptime.jp>