Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:20 PM, Yuriy Zhuravlev <stalkerg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Indeed. It's possibly today to use CMake without a huge amount of
> difficulty to build extensions out of tree against MSVC-built
> postgres.
>

> How? All builds what I saw was with tons of hacks.

There is a simple example here:
<https://bitbucket.org/adunstan/pg-closed-ranges/src/0475b50ff793ce876a78c96d72903c9793a98fc1/?at=cmake>

No tons of hacks.

> On windows, Postgres can build against Mingw, many versions of MSVC and etc
> Also, you can build Postgres without some features or with extra and no good
> way to put this knowledge to CMake build system.
>

> At least we should replace Windows build system by cmake and if your worry
> about consistency of source files (it's very small problem actually) you can
> use current
> Perl script to generate files list for CMake, it will be same as your 1.5
> build system.

That would just add to the knowledge that developers and committers
would need. "One more level of indirection" is rarely the right
solution.

cheers

andrew