Re: perl checking - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: perl checking
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Andrew Dunstan
<andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 05/18/2018 02:02 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>> These two small patches allow us to run "perl -cw" cleanly on all our perl
>> code.
>>

>> One patch silences a warning from convutils.pl about the unportability of
>> the literal 0x100000000. We've run for many years without this giving us a
>> problem, so I think we can turn the warning off pretty safely.
>>

>> The other patch provides a dummy library that emulates just enough of the
>> Win32 perl infrastructure to allow us to run these checks. That means that
>> Unix-based developers who might want to make changes in the msvc code can
>> actually run a check against their code without having to put it on a
>> Windows machine. The invocation goes like this (to check Mkvcbuild.pl for
>> example):
>>

>>    PERL5LIB=src/tools/msvc/dummylib perl -cw src/tools/Mkvcbuild.pm
>>

>> This also allows us to check src/tools/win32tzlist.pl.
>>

>> In due course I'll submit a script to automate this syntax checking.
>>

> Here is the latest version of the second patch, this time with warnings
> about redefinition of some subroutines suppressed. These mostly occur
> because in a few cases we have multiple packages in a single file.
>
> This allows the following command to pass cleanly:
>
>    { find . -type f -a -name '*.p[lm]' -print; find . -type f -perm
>    -100 -exec file {} \; -print | egrep -i ':.*perl[0-9]*\>' |cut -d:
>    -f1 ; } | sort -u |

PERL5LIB=src/test/perl:src/test/ssl:src/bin/pg_rewind:src/backend/catalog:src/backend/utils/mb/Unicode:src/tools/msvc/dummylib:src/tools/msvc
>    xargs -L 1 perl -cw

Attached version actually does what's advertised above.

cheers

andrew

Attachment