Re: Inherited an 18TB DB & need to backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Suhail Bamzena
Subject Re: Inherited an 18TB DB & need to backup
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Peter
Thanks for the info & the entire forum for their inputs.... i did fireup a pg_dump last night pairing it with gzip & split it to 1TB size.. will let you all know how it goes.

On Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:12 Peter J. Holzer, <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> wrote:
On 2020-05-15 14:02:46 +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> On 15/05/20, Suhail Bamzena (suhailsalem@gmail.com) wrote:
> > I have very recently inherited an 18 TB DB that is running version 9.2.
> > Apparently this database has never been backed up
[...]
> A very simple solution could be just to dump the database daily with
> pg_dump, if you have the space and machine capacity to do it. Depending
> on what you are storing, you can achieve good compression with this, and
> it is a great way of having a simple file from which to restore a
> database.
>
> Our ~200GB cluster resolves to under 10GB of pg_dump files, although
> 18TB is a whole different order of size.

I love pg_dump (especially the -Fd format), but for a database of that
size it might be too slow. Ours is about 1TB, and «pg_dump --compress=5 -Fd»
takes a bit over 2 hours. Extrapolating to 18 TB that would be 40 hours

And restoring the database takes even more time because it only restores
the tables and has to rebuild the indexes.

Still - for a first backup, just firing off pg_dump might be the way to
go. Better to have a backup in two days than still none after two weeks
because you are still evaluating the fancier alternatives.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Story must make more sense than reality.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       challenge!"