Re: Insert UUID GEN 4 Value - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tango ward
Subject Re: Insert UUID GEN 4 Value
Date
Re: Insert UUID GEN 4 Value
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

On May 30, 2018, at 9:57 PM, tango ward <tangoward15@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 11:53 AM, tango ward <tangoward15@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
tango ward wrote:
> I found this:
>
> CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS "uuid-ossp";
> SELECT uuid_generate_v4();
>
> My problem is I have a table like this:
> CREATE TABLE enrollmentinfo (
>     id integer NOT NULL,
>     created timestamp with time zone NOT NULL,
>     modified timestamp with time zone NOT NULL,
>     secure_id uuid NOT NULL,
>     relationship character varying(50) NOT NULL,
>     tuition_bill character varying(255) NOT NULL
> );
>
> Now I need to insert data into this table, I just don't know if I can use something like this
> "INSERT INTO enrollmentinfo (current_timestamp, current_timestamp, uuid_generate_v4(), '', '');
> I haven't tried this but also not sure if I can call the function inside INSERT.

Why didn't you try it?

I see no problem with that.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Okay I will try it.

When I tried it, I am getting an error: Invalid input syntax for UUID: uuid_generate_v4(),
What do you get from
Select uuid_generate_v4();

If I try these in psql, CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS "uuid-ossp"; SELECT uuid_generate_v4();

I am getting the generated code but I dunno how to use this in INSERT statement. I am getting an error of invalid input systex for UUID.