Re: PostgreSQL Logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 9:32 AM Ankit Oza <ankit.p.oza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are looking for an example on how to consume the changes of WAL produced by logical decoding (streaming or SQL
interface)in another postgres server.

> Basically, we are trying to create a replica/standby postgre server to a primary progre server. Between Logical
replicationand Logical Decoding we came up with Logical decoding as the choice due to limitation of logical replication
(materializedviews, external views/tables, sequences not replicated). However we are not finding a good example with
instructionson how to set up a consumer postgre server.

I think from a code perspective, you can look at contrib/test_decoding
and src\backend\replication\pgoutput to see how to consume changes and
send them to the replica. You can refer to docs [1] for SQL functions
to consume changes.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-REPLICATION

--
With Regards,