Re: 001_rep_changes.pl fails due to publisher stuck on shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: 001_rep_changes.pl fails due to publisher stuck on shutdown
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 10:44 AM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Dear Horiguchi-san,
>
> Thanks for sharing the patch! I agree this approach (ensure WAL records are flushed)
> Is more proper than others.
>
> I have an unclear point. According to the comment atop GetInsertRecPtr(), it just
> returns the approximated value - the position of the last full WAL page [1].
> If there is a continuation WAL record which across a page, will it return the
> halfway point of the WAL record (end of the first WAL page)? If so, the proposed
> fix seems not sufficient. We have to point out the exact the end of the record.

You have a point but if this theory is correct why we are not able to
reproduce the issue after this patch? Also, how to get the WAL
location up to which we need to flush? Is XLogCtlData->logInsertResult
the one we are looking for?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.