Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 6:09 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/22 01:33, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >
> >> 3) partitioning with pubivaroot=false
> >>
> >> When a partitioned table is added with (pubviaroot=false), it should not be
> >> subject to column filter on the parent relation, which is the same behavior
> >> used by the row filtering patch.
> >
> > You mean each partition should define its own filter, or lack of filter?
> > That sounds reasonable.
> >

> If the partition is not published by the root, it shouldn't use the
> filter defined on the root. I wonder what should happen to the filter
> defined on the partition itself. I'd say
>
> pubviaroot=false -> use filter defined on partition (if any)
>
> pubviaroot=true -> use filter defined on root (if any)
>

> I wonder what the row filter patch is doing - we should probably follow
> the same logic, if only to keep the filtering stuff consistent.

The row filter patch is doing the same and additionally, it gives an
error if the user provides a filter for a partitioned table with
pubviaroot as false.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.