Re: [HACKERS] wait events for disk I/O - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] wait events for disk I/O
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:16 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure, if you think both Writes and Reads at OS level can have some
>> chance of blocking in obscure cases, then we should add a wait event
>> for them.
>
> I think writes have a chance of blocking in cases even in cases that
> are not very obscure at all.

Point taken for writes, but I think in general we should have some
criteria based on which we can decide whether to have a wait event for
a particular call. It should not happen that we have tons of wait
events and out of which, only a few are helpful in most of the cases
in real-world scenarios.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.