Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 12:10 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:02 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 1. How to clear apply worker errors. IIUC we've discussed that once
> > the apply worker skipped the transaction we leave the error entry
> > itself but clear its fields except for some fields such as failure
> > counts. But given that the stats messages could be lost, how can we
> > ensure to clear those error details? For table sync workers’ error, we
> > can have autovacuum workers periodically check entires of
> > pg_subscription_rel and clear the error entry if the table sync worker
> > completes table sync (i.g., checking if srsubstate = ‘r’). But there
> > is no such information for the apply workers and subscriptions. In
> > addition to sending the message clearing the error details just after
> > skipping the transaction, I thought that we can have apply workers
> > periodically send the message clearing the error details but it seems
> > not good.
>
> I think that the motivation behind the idea of leaving error entries
> and clearing theirs some fields is that users can check if the error
> is successfully resolved and the worker is working find. But we can
> check it also in another way, for example, checking
> pg_stat_subscription view. So is it worth considering leaving the
> apply worker errors as they are?

I think so. Basically, we will send the clear message after skipping
the exact but I think it is fine if that message is lost. At worst, it
will be displayed as the last error details. If there is another error
it will be overwritten or probably we should have a function *_reset()
which allows the user to reset a particular subscription's error info.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.