Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 7:26 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> But this does not address tablesync.c :-( That still copies everything,
> because it decides to sync both rels (test_pub_part_1, test_pub_part_2),
> with it's row filter. On older releases this would fail, because we'd
> start two workers:

Yeah, this is because of the existing problem where we sync both rels
instead of one. We have fixed some similar existing problems earlier.
Hou-San has reported a similar case in another email [1].

> But I find this really weird - I think it's reasonable to expect the
> sync to produce the same result as if the data was inserted and
> replicated, and this just violates that.
>
> Shouldn't tablesync calculate a list of relations in a way that prevents
> such duplicate / overlapping syncs?

Yes, I think it is better to fix it separately than to fix it along
with row filter or column filter work.

In any case, this sync issue looks
> entirely unrelated to the column filtering patch.

Right.

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/OS0PR01MB5716DC2982CC735FDE388804940B9%40OS0PR01MB5716.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

--