Re: A doubt about a newly added errdetail - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: A doubt about a newly added errdetail
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 1:10 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2022-Sep-26, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
>
> > I saw the following message recently added to publicationcmds.c.
> >
> > (ERROR: cannot use publication column list for relation "%s.%s"")
> > > DETAIL: Column list cannot be specified if any schema is part of the publication or specified in the list.
> >
> > As my reading, the "the list" at the end syntactically means "Column
> > list" but that is actually wrong; it could be read as "the list
> > following TABLES IN" but that doesn't seem reasonable.
> >
> > If I am right, it might should be something like the following:
> >
> > + Column list cannot be specified if any schema is part of the publication or specified in the command.
> > + Column list cannot be specified if any schema is part of the publication or specified together.
>
> I propose
>
> ERROR:  cannot use column list for relation "%s.%s" in publication "%s"
> DETAIL:  Column lists cannot be specified in publications containing FOR TABLES IN SCHEMA elements.

This looks mostly good to me. BTW, is it a good idea to add ".. in
publication "%s"" to the error message as this can happen even during
create publication? If so, I think we can change the nearby message as
below to include the same:

if (!pubviaroot &&
pri->relation->rd_rel->relkind == RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE)
ereport(ERROR,
(errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
errmsg("cannot use publication column list for relation \"%s\"",

I think even if we don't include the publication name, there won't be
any confusion because there won't be multiple publications in the
command.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.