Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations.
Date
Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations.  (John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 11:10 AM Andrew Gierth
<andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:

>  Amit> Yes, so this could be the cause of the problem. I think we need
>  Amit> to change the tests added by the patch such that they don't rely
>  Amit> on vacuum to remove dead-row versions? Do you or anybody else see
>  Amit> any better way to fix this?
>
> Do you just need to create free space on a page that didn't have enough
> before? It might be worth tweaking the fillfactor rather than trying to
> delete anything.

No, it also depends on vacuum to remove rows and then truncate the
relation accordingly.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.