Re: Dangling Client Backend Process - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Dangling Client Backend Process
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Rajeev rastogi <rajeev.rastogi@huawei.com> wrote:

On 12th October 2015 20:45, Rajeev Rastogi Wrote:

>>> I observed one strange behavior today that if postmaster process gets crashed/killed, then it kill all background processes but not the client backend process.

>> This is a known behaviour and there was some discussion on this

>> topic [1] previously as well.

> Now as it is confirmed to be valid issue, I will spend some time on this to find if there is something more appropriate solution.

I checked the latest code and found Heikki has already added code for secure_read using the latch mechanism (using WaitLatchOrSocket). It currently waits for two events i.e. WL_LATCH_SET and WL_SOCKET_READABLE.

            Commit id: 80788a431e9bff06314a054109fdea66ac538199

If we add the event WL_POSTMASTER_DEATH also, client backend process handling will become same as other backend process. So postmaster death can be detected in the same way.

But I am not sure if WL_POSTMASTER_DEATH event was not added intentionally for some reason. Please confirm.

Also is it OK to add this even handling in generic path of Libpq?

Please let me know if I am missing something?

I feel this is worth investigation, example for what kind of cases libpq is
used for non-blocking sockets, because for such cases above idea
will not work.

Here, I think the bigger point is that, Tom was not in favour of
this proposal (making backends exit on postmaster death ) at that time,
not sure whether he has changed his mind.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.