Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> Going further with verification of this patch, I found below issue:
> Run the testcase.sql file at below link:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4205E661176A124FAF891E0A6BA9135266347F25@szxeml509-mbs.china.huawei.com
> ./vacuumdb --analyze-in-stages -j 8 -d postgres
> Generating minimal optimizer statistics (1 target)
> Segmentation fault
>
> Server Log:
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "minimal" at character 12
> STATEMENT:  ANALYZE ng minimal optimizer statistics (1 target)
> LOG:  could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer

As mentioned by you offlist that you are not able reproduce this
issue, I have tried again and what I observe is that I am able to
reproduce it only on *release* build and some cases work without
this issue as well,
example:
./vacuumdb --analyze-in-stages -t t1 -t t2 -t t3 -t t4 -t t5 -t t6 -t t7 -t t8 -j 8 -d postgres
Generating minimal optimizer statistics (1 target)
Generating medium optimizer statistics (10 targets)
Generating default (full) optimizer statistics

So to me, it looks like this is a timing issue and please notice
why in error the statement looks like
"ANALYZE ng minimal optimizer statistics (1 target)".  I think this
is not a valid statement.

Let me know if you still could not reproduce it.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.