Re: Support logical replication of DDLs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 1:09 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 6:05 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2022-May-08, Dilip Kumar wrote:
>

> > The code in test_ddl_deparse is a pretty lame start, not nearly good
> > enough by a thousand miles.  My real intention was to have a test
> > harness that would first run a special SQL script to install DDL
> > capture, then run all the regular src/test/regress scripts, and then at
> > the end ensure that all the DDL scripts were properly reproduced -- for
> > example transmit them to another database, replay them there, and dump
> > both databases and compare them.  However, there were challenges which I
> > no longer remember and we were unable to complete this, and we are where
> > we are.
>
> I think the regression test suite improvements in these few years make
> it easier to implement such regression tests in order to check not
> only the existing commands but also future changes. I'll try it if no
> one is working on it, and let us see if there are challenges.

I think it is a good idea to give it a try. However, one point to note
in this regard is that if we decide to use deparsing for DDL logical
replication then the tests for logical replication will automatically
test all the deparsing code.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.