Re: [HACKERS] Restrict concurrent update/delete with UPDATE ofpartition key - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Restrict concurrent update/delete with UPDATE ofpartition key
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 3:18 PM, amul sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Pavan Deolasee
>>
>>> This is just one example. I am almost certain there are many such cases that
>>> will require careful attention.
>>>

>> Right, I think we should be able to detect and fix such cases.
>>

> I found a couple of places (in heap_lock_updated_tuple, rewrite_heap_tuple,
> EvalPlanQualFetch & heap_lock_updated_tuple_rec) where ItemPointerEquals is
> use to check tuple has been updated/deleted.  With the proposed patch
> ItemPointerEquals() will no longer work as before, we required addition check
> for updated/deleted tuple, proposed the same in latest patch[1]. Do let me know
> your thoughts/suggestions on this, thanks.

I think you have identified the places correctly.  I have few
suggestions though.

1.
- if (!ItemPointerEquals(&tuple->t_self, ctid))
+ if (!(ItemPointerEquals(&tuple->t_self, ctid) ||
+   (!ItemPointerValidBlockNumber(ctid) &&
+    (ItemPointerGetOffsetNumber(&tuple->t_self) ==   /* TODO: Condn.
should be macro? */
+ ItemPointerGetOffsetNumber(ctid)))))

Can't we write this and similar tests as:
ItemPointerValidBlockNumber(ctid) &&
!ItemPointerEquals(&tuple->t_self, ctid)?  It will be bit simpler to
understand and serve the purpose.

2.

if (mytup.t_data->t_infomask & HEAP_XMAX_INVALID ||
  ItemPointerEquals(&mytup.t_self, &mytup.t_data->t_ctid) ||
+ !HeapTupleHeaderValidBlockNumber(mytup.t_data) ||
  HeapTupleHeaderIsOnlyLocked(mytup.t_data))

I think it is better to keep the check for
HeapTupleHeaderValidBlockNumber earlier than ItemPointerEquals as it
will first validate if block number is valid and then only compare the
complete CTID.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.