Re: BUG #11350: ALTER SYSTEM is not DDL? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: BUG #11350: ALTER SYSTEM is not DDL?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> On 2014-09-19 12:50:24 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>
wrote:

> > > Like CREATE USER / CREATE ROLE / CREATE DATABASE ?
> > >
> > > All those are logged as DDL.
> >
> > They are different from ALTER SYSTEM in terms that they create/modify
> > the object (here object can be any database or cluster object) property.
> >
> > Can you tell me that if we want to make ALTER SYSTEM as DDL, then
> > why SET or CHECKPOINT commands can't be DDL?
>
> Really? Because neither has persistent effects?

I am not sure if persistent effects should be considered while defining
type of statement.  Statements that define database structure or schema
in some way should be considered as DDL statements.

I am not able to convince myself that ALTER SYSTEM should be a
DDL command, however if you and Stephen feels strongly about it
then lets do it that way.  I think there is already a patch in this thread
which defines it as DDL (though I haven't checked it yet).  Do you
expect anything more?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.