Re: User Interface for WAL usage data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: User Interface for WAL usage data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:

> > > 1) records; 2) pages ("full page images"); 3) bytes
> > >
> > > That is exactly like sort (method/type/size) and hash (buckets/batches/size),
> > > and *not* like buffers, which shows various values all in units of "pages".
> > >

> > The way you have written (2) appears to bit awkward. I would prefer
> > "full page writes" or "full page images".
>
> I didn't mean it to be the description used in the patch or anywhere else, just
> the list of units.
>
> I wonder if it should use colons instead of equals ?  As in:
> |    WAL: Records: 2359  Full Page Images: 42  Size: 437kB
>
> Note, that has: 1) two spaces; 2) capitalized "fields"; 3) size rather than
> "bytes".  That's similar to Buckets:
> |    Buckets: 1024  Batches: 1  Memory Usage: 44kB
>
> I'm not sure if it should say "WAL: " or "WAL ", or perhaps "WAL:  "  If
> there's no colon, then it looks like the first field is "WAL Records", but then
> "size" isn't as tightly associated with WAL.  It could say:
> |    WAL Records: n  Full Page Images: n  WAL Size: nkB
>
> For comparison, buffers uses "equals" for the case showing multiple "fields",
> which are all in units of pages:
> |    Buffers: shared hit=15 read=2006

I think this is more close to the case of Buffers where all fields are
directly related to buffers/blocks.  Here all the fields we want to
display are related to WAL, so we should try to make it display
similar to Buffers.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.