Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Handle infinite recursion in logical replication setup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 6:21 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are my comments for the latest patch v6-0001.
>
> (I will post my v6-0002 review comments separately)
>
> PATCH v6-0001 comments
> ======================
>
> 1.1 General - Option name
>
> I still feel like the option name is not ideal. Unfortunately, this is
> important because any name change would impact lots of these patch
> files and docs, struct members etc.
>
> It was originally called "local_only", but I thought that as a
> SUBSCRIPTION option that was confusing because "local" means local to
> what? Really it is local to the publisher, not local to the
> subscriber, so that name seemed misleading.
>
> Then I suggested "publish_local_only". Although that resolved the
> ambiguity problem, other people thought it seemed odd to have the
> "publish" prefix for a subscription-side option.
>
> So now it is changed again to "subscribe_local_only" -- It's getting
> better but still, it is implied that the "local" means local to the
> publisher except there is nothing in the option name really to convey
> that meaning. IMO we here all understand the meaning of this option
> mostly by familiarity with this discussion thread, but I think a user
> coming to this for the first time will still be confused by the name.
>
> Below are some other name ideas. Maybe they are not improvements, but
> it might help other people to come up with something better.
>
> subscribe_publocal_only = true/false
> origin = pub_only/any
> adjacent_data_only = true/false
> direct_subscriptions_only = true/false

I think local_only with a description should be okay considering other
current options. Some of the options like slot_name, binary, etc. are
publisher-specific which becomes clear only after reading the
description. I am not sure adding pub*/sub* to it is much helpful. So,
+1 to a simple boolean like 'local_only', 'data_local', or something
like that.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.