Re: Design of pg_stat_subscription_workers vs pgstats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Design of pg_stat_subscription_workers vs pgstats
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 3:25 PM Peter Eisentraut

> On 02.02.22 07:54, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> > Sure, but is this the reason you want to store all the error info in
> > the system catalog? I agree that providing more error info could be
> > useful and also possibly the previously failed (apply) xacts info as
> > well but I am not able to see why you want to have that sort of info
> > in the catalog. I could see storing info like err_lsn/err_xid that can
> > allow to proceed to apply worker automatically or to slow down the
> > launch of errored apply worker but not all sort of other error info
> > (like err_cnt, err_code, err_message, err_time, etc.). I want to know
> > why you are insisting to make all the error info persistent via the
> > system catalog?
>
> Let's flip this around and ask, why not?

Because we don't necessarily need all this information after the crash
and neither is this information about any system object which we
require for performing operations on objects. OTOH, if we need some
particular error/apply state(s) that should be okay to keep in
persistent form (in system catalog). In walreceiver (for standby), we
don't store the errors/conflicts in any table, they are either
reported in logs or shared via stats. Similarly, the archiver process
do share its failure information either via stats or logs. Similar is
the case for checkpointer which also just logs the error. Now,
similarly in this case also we are sharing the error information via
logs and stats.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.