Re: [bug?] Missed parallel safety checks, and wrong parallel safety - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [bug?] Missed parallel safety checks, and wrong parallel safety
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 8:12 AM tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
<tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> > [ raised eyebrow... ]  I find it very hard to understand why that would
> > be necessary, or even a good idea.  Not least because there's no spare
> > room there; you'd have to incur a substantial enlargement of the
> > array to add another flag.  But also, that would indeed lock down
> > the value of the parallel-safety flag, and that seems like a fairly
> > bad idea.
>
> You're right, FmgrBuiltins is already fully packed (24 bytes on 64-bit machines).  Enlarging the frequently accessed
fmgr_builtinsarray may wreak unexpectedly large adverse effect on performance.

> I wanted to check the parallel safety of functions, which various objects (data type, index, trigger, etc.) come down
to,in FunctionCallInvoke() and other few places.  But maybe we skip the check for built-in functions.  That's a matter
ofwhere we draw a line between where we check and where we don't.

IIUC, the idea here is to check for parallel safety of functions at
someplace in the code during function invocation so that if we execute
any parallel unsafe/restricted function via parallel worker then we
error out. If so, isn't it possible to deal with built-in and
non-built-in functions in the same way?

I think we want to have some safety checks for functions as we have
for transaction id in AssignTransactionId(), command id in
CommandCounterIncrement(), for write operations in
heap_prepare_insert(), etc. Is that correct?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.