Re: Unresolved repliaction hang and stop problem. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Unresolved repliaction hang and stop problem.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:36 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2021-Apr-28, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 6:48 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
> > > Hmm ... On what does it depend (other than plain git conflicts, which
> > > are aplenty)?  On a quick look to the commit, it's clear that we need to
> > > be careful in order not to cause an ABI break, but that doesn't seem
> > > impossible to solve, but I'm wondering if there is more to it than that.
> >
> > As mentioned in the commit message, we need another commit [1] change
> > to make this work.
> >
> > [1] - https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=c55040ccd0
>
> Oh, yeah, that looks tougher.  (Still not impossible: it adds a new WAL
> message type, but we have added such on a minor release before.)

Yeah, we can try to make it possible if it is really a pressing issue
but I guess even in that case it is better to do it after we release
PG14 so that it can get some more testing.

> ... It's strange that replication worked for them on pg10 though and
> broke on 13.  What did we change anything to make it so?

No idea but probably if the other person can share the exact test case
which he sees working fine on PG10 but not on PG13 then it might be a
bit easier to investigate.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.