Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 6:44 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 5:13 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Some notes before commit:
> > --------------------------------------
> > 1.
> > Commit message need to be changed for the first patch
> > A.
> > > The memory limit is defined by a new logical_decoding_work_mem GUC, so for example we can do this
> >
> >     SET logical_decoding_work_mem = '128kB'
> >
> > > to trigger very aggressive streaming. The minimum value is 64kB.
> >
> > I think this patch doesn't contain streaming, so we either need to
> > reword it or remove it.
> >
> > B.
> > > The logical_decoding_work_mem may be set either in postgresql.conf, in which case it serves as the default for
allpublishers on that instance, or when creating the

> > > subscription, using a work_mem paramemter in the WITH clause (specifies number of kilobytes).
> >
> > We need to reword this as we have decided to remove the setting from
> > the subscription side as of now.
> >
> > 2. I think we can change the message level in UpdateSpillStats() to DEBUG2.
> >

> I have made these modifications and additionally ran pgindent.
>
> > 4. I think we can combine both patches and commit as one patch, but it
> > is okay to commit them separately as well.
> >

> I am not sure if this is a good idea, so still kept them as separate.

I have committed the first patch.  I will commit the second one
related to stats of spilled xacts on Thursday.  The second patch needs
catalog version bump as well because we are modifying the catalog
contents in that patch.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.