Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 1:42 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> On 2022-12-26 14:04:28 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > Pushed.
>
> I did not follow this thread but saw the commit. Could you explain why a GUC
> is the right mechanism here? The commit message didn't explain why a GUC was
> chosen.
>
> To me an option like this should be passed in when decoding rather than a GUC.

For that, we need to have a subscription option for this as we need to
reduce test timing for streaming TAP tests (by streaming, I mean
replication of large in-progress transactions) as well. Currently,
there is no subscription option that is merely used for
testing/debugging purpose and there doesn't seem to be a use for this
for users. So, we didn't want to expose it as a user option. There is
also a risk that if users use it they will face a slowdown.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.