Re: warning in code while building on windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: warning in code while building on windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> The macro is pretty gcc-specific, isn't it?
>
> If that's the problem, why isn't Amit seeing a boatload of similar
> warnings elsewhere?

If I try to change other place similar to relfilenodemap.c, I am
getting similar warning. For example:

Original Code
--------------------
ExecMaterial()
{
..
/*            * Allocate a second read pointer to serve as the mark. We know it            * must have index 1, so
needn'tstore that.            */           int ptrno    PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY;
           ptrno = tuplestore_alloc_read_pointer(tuplestorestate,
node->eflags);          Assert(ptrno == 1);
..
}

Modified Code
---------------------
ExecMaterial()
{
..
/*            * Allocate a second read pointer to serve as the mark. We know it            * must have index 1, so
needn'tstore that.            */           int ptrno    PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY;

#ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
           ptrno = tuplestore_alloc_read_pointer(tuplestorestate,
node->eflags);          Assert(ptrno == 1);
#endif
..
}

After above modification it gives below compilation error:
1>.\src\backend\executor\nodeMaterial.c(69) : warning C4101: 'ptrno' :
unreferenced local variable

Coming to original warning, changing the code as below removes warning:

RelidByRelfilenode()
{
..
#ifdef USE_ASSERT_CHECKING       if (assert_enabled)       {           Oid check;           bool isnull
PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY;          check = fastgetattr(ntp, Anum_pg_class_reltablespace,
RelationGetDescr(relation),                              &isnull);           Assert(!isnull && check == reltablespace);
           check = fastgetattr(ntp, Anum_pg_class_relfilenode,
RelationGetDescr(relation),                              &isnull);           Assert(!isnull && check == relfilenode);
   }
#endif

Moving isnull declaration inside if block resolves current compilation
warning, I think in any case it is better to declare inside if block
as it is used in that block only.

I think resolving the bigger problem such that it should not give
warning for such usage in MSVC is important, but can be dealt as a
separate thread/patch.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.