Re: sidewinder has one failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: sidewinder has one failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 6:19 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> =?UTF-8?Q?Mikael_Kjellstr=c3=b6m?= <mikael.kjellstrom@mksoft.nu> writes:
> > I tried starting it from cron and then I got:
> >   max_safe_fds = 981, usable_fds = 1000, already_open = 9
>
> Oh!  There we have it then.

Right.

>  I wonder if that's a cron bug (neglecting
> to close its own FDs before forking children) or intentional (maybe
> it uses those FDs to keep tabs on the children?).

So, where do we go from here?  Shall we try to identify why cron is
keeping extra FDs or we assume that we can't predict how many
pre-opened files there will be?  In the latter case, we either want to
(a) tweak the test to raise the value of max_files_per_process, (b)
remove the test entirely.  You seem to incline towards (b), but I have
a few things to say about that.  We have another strange failure due
to this test on one of Noah's machine, see my email [1].  I have
requested Noah for the stack trace [2].  It is not clear to me whether
the committed code has any problem or the test has discovered a
different problem in v10 specific to that platform.  The same test has
passed for v11, v12, and HEAD on the same platform.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1LMDx6vK8Kdw8WUeW1MjToN2xVffL2kvtHvZg17%3DY6QQg%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1LJqMuXoCLuxkTr1HidbR8DkgRrVC7jHWDyXT%3DFD2gt6Q%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,