Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:06 PM Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh.2007@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 9:18 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It seems for this we formed a cache of max_cached_tuplebufs number of
> > objects and we don't need to allocate more than that number of tuples
> > of size MaxHeapTupleSize because we will anyway return that memory to
> > aset.c.
> >
> In the approach suggested by Amit (approach 1), once we allocate the
> max_cached_tuplebufs number of MaxHeapTupleSize, we can use the actual
> length of the tuple for allocating memory. So, if we have m
> subtransactions, the memory usage at worst case will be,
>
> (max_cached_tuplebufs * MaxHeapTupleSize) cache +
> (Maximum changes in a subtransaction before spilling) * m * (Actual tuple size)
>
> = 64 MB cache + 4095 * m * (Actual tuple size)
>
> In the approach suggested by Andres (approach 2), we're going to
> reduce the size of a cached tuple to 1024 bytes. So, if we have m
> sub-transactions, the memory usage at worst case will be,
>
> (max_cached_tuplebufs * 1024 bytes) cache + (Maximum changes in a
> subtransaction before spilling) * m * 1024 bytes
>
> = 8 MB cache + 4095 * m * 1024 (considering the size of the tuple is
> less than 1024 bytes)
>
> Once the cache is filled, for 1000 sub-transactions operating on tuple
> size, say 100 bytes, approach 1 will allocate 390 MB of memory
> (approx.) whereas approach 2 will allocate 4GB of memory
> approximately. If there is no obvious error that I'm missing, I think
> we should implement the first approach.

Your calculation seems correct to me.  So, I think we should proceed
with the patch written by you.

Andres, any objections on proceeding with Kuntal's patch for
back-branches (10, 9.6 and 9.5)?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.