Re: logical streaming of xacts via test_decoding is broken - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: logical streaming of xacts via test_decoding is broken
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:26 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 8:14 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think we should also think about the combinations of the
> > > skip_empty_xacts and skip_empty_streams.  For example, if the user
> > > passes the skip_empty_xacts to false and skip_empty_streams to true
> > > then what should be the behavior, if the complete transaction
> > > option1: It should not print any stream_start/stream_stop and just
> > > print commit stream because skip_empty_xacts is false and
> > > skip_empty_streams is true.
> > > option2: It should print the stream_start message for the very first
> > > stream because it is the first stream if the txn and skip_empty_xacts
> > > is false so print it and later it will print-stream commit.
> > > option3: Or for the first stream we first put the BEGIN message i.e
> > > stream begin
> > > stream start
> > > stream stop
> > > stream commit
> > > option4: the user should not be allowed to pass skip_empty_xacts =
> > > false with skip_empty_streams to true.  Because if the streaming mode
> > > is on then we can not print the xact without printing streams.
> > >
> > > What is your opinion on this?
> > >

> > I would prefer option-4 and in addition to that we can ensure that if
> > skip_empty_xacts = true then by default skip_empty_streams is also
> > true.
>
> But then it will behave as a single option only, right? because if
> 1. skip_empty_xacts = true, then we set skip_empty_streams = true

For this case, users can use skip_empty_xacts = true and
skip_empty_streams = false. I am just asking if the user has only used
skip_empty_xacts = true and didn't use the 'skip_empty_streams'
option.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.