Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I haven't given up on this patch yet, and putting again my head on
> >> this problem I have finished with the patch attached, which checks if
> >> the current insert LSN position is at the beginning of a segment that
> >> has just been switched to decide if a standby snapshot should be
> >> logged or not. This allows bringing back an idle system to the pre-9.3
> >> state where a segment would be archived in the case of a low
> >> archive_timeout only when a checkpoint has been issued on the system.
> >>

> > Won't this be a problem if the checkpoint occurs after a long time and in
> > the mean time there is some activity in the server?
>
> Why? If there is some activity on the server, the snapshot will be
> immediately taken at the next iteration without caring about the
> checkpoint.

+ (insert_lsn % XLOG_SEG_SIZE) != SizeOfXLogLongPHD))

Do you mean to intend that it is protected by above check in the
patch?

Isn't it possible that so much WAL is inserted between bgwriter cycles,
that when it checks the location of WAL, it founds it to be at the beginning
of a new segment?

> > Another idea to solve this issue could be to see if there is any progress
> > in the server by checking buffers dirtied/written (we can refer that
> > information using pgBufferUsage) since last time we log this record in
> > bgwriter.
>
> Yes, that may be an idea worth considering, but I really think that we
> had better measure that at WAL level..

I thought this is quite close to the previous patch you proposed where
Andres wanted some measurement in terms of progress since last
checkpoint. I understand as per current code your patch can work, but
what if some more similar WAL records needs to be added?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.