Re: Reviving lost replication slots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Reviving lost replication slots
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 1:40 PM sirisha chamarthi
<sirichamarthi22@gmail.com> wrote:

> A replication slot can be lost when a subscriber is not able to catch up with the load on the primary and the WAL to
catchup exceeds max_slot_wal_keep_size. When this happens, target has to be reseeded (pg_dump) from the scratch and
thiscan take longer. I am investigating the options to revive a lost slot.

Why in the first place one has to set max_slot_wal_keep_size if they
care for WAL more than that? If you have a case where you want to
handle this case for some particular slot (where you are okay with the
invalidation of other slots exceeding max_slot_wal_keep_size) then the
other possibility could be to have a similar variable at the slot
level but not sure if that is a good idea because you haven't
presented any such case.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.