Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 2:32 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:10 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > I think you can refer to commit message as well for that "We however
> > must explicitly disable streaming replication during replication slot
> > creation, even if the plugin supports it. We don't need to replicate
> > the changes accumulated during this phase, and moreover, we don't have
> > a replication connection open so we don't have where to send the data
> > anyway.".  I don't think this is a good way to hack the streaming flag
> > because for SQL API's, we don't have a good reason to disable the
> > streaming in this way.  I guess if we had a condition related to
> > reaching CONSISTENT snapshot during streaming then we won't need to
> > hack the streaming flag in this way.  Once we reach the CONSISTENT
> > snapshot state, we come out of the creation of a replication slot (see
> > how we use DecodingContextReady to achieve that) phase.  So, I feel we
> > should remove the ctx->streaming setting to false and add a CONSISTENT
> > snapshot check during streaming unless you have a reason for not doing
> > so.
>
> I was worried about the point that streaming on/off is sent by the
> subscriber on START REPLICATION, not on CREATE REPLICATION SLOT, so if
> we keep streaming on during create then it may not be right.

Then, how is that used on the publisher-side?  AFAICS, the streaming
is enabled based on whether streaming callbacks are provided and we do
that in 0003-Extend-the-logical-decoding-output-plugin-API-wi patch.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.