Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Amit Kapila (amit.kapila16@gmail.com) wrote:
>> If both are okay, then I would like to go with second option (include
>> file mechanism).
>> I think by default, we should allow auto file to be included and if
>> user faces any problem or otherwise,
>> then he can decide to disable it.
>
> If it's enabled by default, then we need to ship an 'auto' file which is
> empty by default...

initdb will create the empty auto file. If we don't enable by default,
then if user uses
ALTER SYSTEM and do sighup/restart, changed config parameter values
will not come into affect
until he manually enables it by removing '#' from '#include'.

> I don't particularly like that (implies that an
> empty file is acceptable and not an error condition, which it otherwise
> probably would be...).  I'm still not a big fan of enabling it by default
> tho.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.