Re: recovery testing for beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: recovery testing for beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2014-06-02 09:03:25 -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:
> > On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>
> > > I think this is useful information and can be even included in core
> > > code.
>
> I'd like to include something, but I think those are a bit long...

There could be multiple options:
Option-1:
Delta encoded tuple/Compressed tuple -  if tuple is prefix and/or suffix
                                                            encoded
and don't mention anything otherwise.

Option-2:
Prefix delta encoded tuple/Suffix Delta encoded tuple/Delta encoded
tuple - depending on if tuple contains prefix, suffix or both type of
encodings.

> > Non-HOT updates can also be compressed, if they happen to land in the same
> > page as the old version, so I copied that code into the non-HOT update
> > section as well.
>
> Right.

I shall include this in updated patch.

> > GNU make does not realize that pg_xlogdump depends
> > on src/backend/access/rmgrdesc/heapdesc.c.  (I don't know how or why it has
> > that dependency, but changes did not take effect with a simple "make
> > install") Is that a known issue?  Is there someway to fix it?
>
> Hm. I can't reproduce this here. A simple 'touch heapdesc.c' triggers a
> rebuild of pg_xlogdump for me. Could you include the make output?

In Windows, there is a separate copy for *desc.c files for pg_xlogdump,
so unless I regenerate the files (perl mkvcbuild.pl), changes done
in src/backend/access/rmgrdesc/*desc.c doesn't take affect.

I think it is done as per blow code in Mkvcbuild.pm:
foreach my $xf (glob('src/backend/access/rmgrdesc/*desc.c'))
{
my $bf = basename $xf;
copy($xf, "contrib/pg_xlogdump/$bf");
$pg_xlogdump->AddFile("contrib\\pg_xlogdump\\$bf");
}
copy(
'src/backend/access/transam/xlogreader.c',
'contrib/pg_xlogdump/xlogreader.c');

Note- I think it would have been better to discuss specifics of
pg_xlogdump in separate thread, however as the discussion
started here, I am also replying on this thread.  I shall post an
update of conclusion of this in new thread if patch is required.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.