Re: Logical replication timeout problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Logical replication timeout problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 10:06 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat.oss@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 4:11 PM wangw.fnst@fujitsu.com
> <wangw.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 13:04 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > Thanks for your comments.
> >
> > > One more thing, I think it would be better to expose a new callback
> > > API via reorder buffer as suggested previously [2] similar to other
> > > reorder buffer APIs instead of directly using reorderbuffer API to
> > > invoke plugin API.
> >
> > Yes, I agree. I think it would be better to add a new callback API on the HEAD.
> > So, I improved the fix approach:
> > Introduce a new optional callback to update the process. This callback function
> > is invoked at the end inside the main loop of the function
> > ReorderBufferProcessTXN() for each change. In this way, I think it seems that
> > similar timeout problems could be avoided.
>
> I am a bit worried about the indirections that the wrappers and hooks
> create. Output plugins call OutputPluginUpdateProgress() in callbacks
> but I don't see why  ReorderBufferProcessTXN() needs a callback to
> call OutputPluginUpdateProgress.

Yeah, I think we can do it as we are doing the previous approach but
we need an additional wrapper (update_progress_cb_wrapper()) as the
current patch has so that we can add error context information. This
is similar to why we have a wrapper for all other callbacks like
change_cb_wrapper.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.