Re: [sqlsmith] Failed assertion in parallel worker (ExecInitSubPlan) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [sqlsmith] Failed assertion in parallel worker (ExecInitSubPlan)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This approach looks pretty good to me.  Here's a revised version of
> >> your patch, with some renaming and other adjustments.
> >
> > Your version looks good to me.
> >
> >>  I'm not sure
> >> exactly what you're referring to in set_append_rel_size,
> >
> > The below code:
> >
> > set_append_rel_size()
> > {
> > ..
> >
> > /*
> >
> > * CE failed, so finish copying/modifying targetlist and join quals.
> >
> > *
> > * NB: the resulting childrel->reltarget->exprs may contain arbitrary
> > * expressions, which otherwise would not occur in a rel's targetlist.
> > ..
> > */
> >
> > childrel->reltarget->exprs = (List *)
> > adjust_appendrel_attrs(root,
> >   (Node *) rel->reltarget->exprs,
> >   appinfo);
> >
> > What I mean to say is if above code lead to some additional expressions in
> > childrel targetlist, then those can lead to some unsafe expressions in child
> > rel target list. This can cause some problem as we are blindly considering
> > that if parent rel is parallel safe, then child rel will also be parallel
> > safe (in below code:)
> >
> > set_append_rel_size()
> > {
> > ..
> > /* Copy consider_parallel flag from parent. */
> > childrel->consider_parallel = rel->consider_parallel;
> >

> >> but I did add
> >> a line of code there that might be relevant.
> >>

> > I am not sure if that can address the above problem.  I have posted my
> > analysis on the same in mail [1].
> >

> > [1] -
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1Jz5tG2D2PCNYqYob2cb4dKowKYwVJ7OmP5vwyRyCMx4g%40mail.gmail.com
>
> Do you have a test case that demonstrates the problem with this patch
> applied?

No, I don't have a test case.  I have tried a bit, but it seems even if there is a problem, one needs to spend quite some time to generate an exact test. I think the current patch fixes the reproducible problem [1], so lets go with it.  We can look into Append case problem if some one has a reproducible case or if I could come up with one.  In any case, I think it is a separate problem then what is reported in this thread.