Re: create subscription - improved warning message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: create subscription - improved warning message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 12, 2022 at 2:08 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> On 2022-Oct-12, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
> > I think it is a good idea to expand the docs for this but note that
> > there are multiple places that use a similar description. For example,
> > see the description slot_name option: "When slot_name is set to NONE,
> > there will be no replication slot associated with the subscription.
> > This can be used if the replication slot will be created later
> > manually. Such subscriptions must also have both enabled and
> > create_slot set to false.".  Then, we have a few places in the logical
> > replication docs [1] that talk about creating the slot manually but
> > didn't explain in detail the name or options to use. We might want to
> > write a slightly bigger doc patch so that we can write the description
> > in one place and give reference to the same at other places.
>
> +1

Okay, then I think we can commit the last error message patch of Peter
[1] as we have an agreement on the same, and then work on this as a
separate patch. What do you think?

[1] -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHut%2BPtgkebavGYsGnROkY1%3DULhJ5%2Byn4_i3Y9E9%2ByDeksqpwQ%40mail.gmail.com

--