Re: Waits monitoring - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Waits monitoring
Date
Re: Waits monitoring  (Ildus Kurbangaliev <i.kurbangaliev@postgrespro.ru>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> On 2015-09-04 23:44:21 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I see the need for both current wait information and for cumulative
> > historical detail.
> >
> > I'm willing to wait before reviewing this, but not for more than 1 more CF.
> >
> > Andres, please decide whether we should punt to next CF now, based upon
> > other developments. Thanks
>
> I think we can do some of the work concurrently - the whole lwlock
> infrastructure piece is rather independent and what currently most of
> the arguments are about. I agree that the actual interface will need to
> be coordinated.
>
> Ildus, could you please review Amit & Robert's patch?

Are you talking about patch where I have fixed few issues in Robert's
patch [1] or the original patch [3] written by me.

IIUC, this is somewhat different than what Ildus is doing in his latest
patch [2].

Sorry, but I think there is some confusion about that patch [1] development.
Let me try to summarize what I think has happened and why I feel there is
some confusion.  Initially Robert has proposed the idea of having a
column in pg_stat_activity for wait_event on hackers and then I wrote an
initial patch so that we can discuss the same in a more meaningful way
and wanted to extend that patch based on consensus and what any other
patch like Waits monitoring would need from it.  In-between Ildus has proposed
Waits monitoring patch and also started hacking the other pg_stat_activity
patch and that was the starting point of confusion.  Now I think that the current
situation is there's one patch [1] of Robert (with some fixes by myself) for standardising
LWLock stuff, so that we can build pg_stat_activity patch on top of it and then
a patch [2] from Ildus for doing something similar but I think it hasn't used Robert's
patch.

I think the intention of having multiple people develop same patch is to get
the work done faster, but I think here it is causing confusion and I feel that
is one reason the patch is getting dragged as well.  Let me know your thoughts
about what is the best way to proceed?

P.S. - This mail is not to point anything wrong with any particular individual,
rather about the development of a particular patch getting haphazard because
of some confusion.  I am not sure that this is the right thread to write about
it, but as it has been asked here to review the patch in other related thread,
so I have mentioned my thoughts on the same.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.