Re: PG compilation error with Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: PG compilation error with Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 9:36 PM Juan José Santamaría Flecha
<juanjo.santamaria@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 3:50 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 5:57 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > 2. I think the code in IsoLocaleName is quite confusing and difficult
>> > to understand in back branches and the changes due to this bug-fix
>> > made it more complicated.  I am thinking to refactor it such that the
>> > code for (_MSC_VER >= 1700 && _MSC_VER  < 1900), (_MSC_VER >= 1900)
>> > and last #else code (the code for version < 17) resides in their own
>> > functions.
>> >

>> Another possibility could be to add just a branch for (_MSC_VER >=
>> 1900) and add that code in a separate function without touching other
>> parts of this function.  That would avoid testing it various versions
>> of MSVC.
>

> I was not aware of how many switches IsoLocaleName() already had before trying to backpatch. I think offering an
alternativemight be a cleaner approach, I will work on that.

Okay, thanks.  The key point to keep in mind is to avoid touching the
code related to prior MSVC versions as we might not have set up to
test those.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.