Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 3:46 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 11:02 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> > <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > The other possibility could
> > be that the free pages added to FSM by one worker are not being used
> > by another worker due to some reason. Can we debug and check if the
> > pages added by one worker are being used by another worker?
>
> I tried to explain it at [1]. Please have a look.

I have read it but I think we should try to ensure practically what is
happening because it is possible that first time worker checked in FSM
without taking relation extension lock, it didn't find any free page,
and then when it tried to acquire the conditional lock, it got the
same and just extended the relation by one block. So, in such a case
it won't be able to use the newly added pages by another worker. I am
not sure any such thing is happening here but I think it is better to
verify it in some way. Also, I am not sure if just getting the info
about the relation extension lock is sufficient?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.