Re: pgsql: pgstat: Bring up pgstat in BaseInit() to fix uninitialized use o - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: pgsql: pgstat: Bring up pgstat in BaseInit() to fix uninitialized use o
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 4:34 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> On 2021-08-17 10:54:30 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > 5. How can we provide a strict mechanism to not allow to use dsm APIs
> > for non-dsm FileSet? One idea could be that we can have a variable
> > (probably bool) in SharedFileSet structure which will be initialized
> > in SharedFileSetInit based on whether the caller has provided dsm
> > segment. Then in other DSM-based APIs, we can check if it is used for
> > the wrong type.
>
> Well, isn't the issue here that it's not a shared file set in case you
> explicitly don't want to share it? ISTM that the proper way to address
> this would be to split out a FileSet from SharedFileSet that's then used
> for worker.c and sharedfileset.c.

Okay, but note that to accomplish the same, we need to tweak the
BufFile (buffile.c) APIs as well so that they can work with FileSet.
As per the initial analysis, there doesn't seem to be any problem with
that though.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.