Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Force streaming every change in logical decoding
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 10:32 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Besides, I tried to reduce data size in streaming subscription tap tests by this
> > new GUC (see 0002 patch). But I didn't covert all streaming tap tests because I
> > think we also need to cover the case that there are lots of changes. So, 015* is
> > not modified.
>
> If we want to eventually convert 015 some time, isn't it better to
> include it even if it requires many changes?

I think there is some confusion here because the point is that we
don't want to convert all the tests. It would be good to have some
tests which follow the regular path of logical_decoding_work_mem.

> Is there any reason we
> want to change 017 in a separate patch?

Here also, the idea is to leave it as it is. It has a mix of stream
and non-stream cases and it would be tricky to convert it because we
need to change GUC before streamed one and reload the config and
ensure reloaded config is in effect.

> > And 017* is not modified because streaming transactions and
> > non-streaming transactions are tested alternately in this test.
>
> How about 029_on_error.pl? It also sets logical_decoding_work_mem to
> 64kb to test the STREAM COMMIT case.

How would you like to change this? Do we want to enable the GUC or
streaming option just before that case and wait for it? If so, that
might take more time than we save.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.